Printer Fun

We recently purchased a new high speed printer at work and it wound up in the cubicle next to mine. Seeing as how I’d have to put up with the traffic and disruptions of people using the printer, I decided I was going to be the first to use it.
The first day the printer was available, I set up my computer to print to it and sent it a document that needed printed anyhow. To everyone’s disappointment (mine included) our brand new $5000 printer didn’t properly fuse the toner to the paper.
That afternoon, a couple guys from the tech ops group came up to look over the printer to see if they could figure out what was wrong with it. I joked that there was still a piece of plastic in the printer that said, “Remove this tab before operating.” We all laughed and after they spent some time cleaning the print drum and playing with the fuser temperature setting they eventually determined that the fuser was defective and they’d have to call the vendor for a new one.
Today, a week and a half later, the new fuser arrived in our office and one of the tech ops guys came up to install it. The first thing he did was to open up the printer and make sure he understood how it was all put together so he could do it correctly. I went back to work and a few minutes later, he asked me if I could try printing something.
After a couple false starts, I eventually came up with a print job that had text in the area where the toner hadn’t been fusing and this time around everything worked properly.
That’s when Joseph confessed that he hadn’t replaced the fuser. He’d simply discovered this small piece of plastic still in place that was labeled “Remove before operating.” Turns out my joke had been right on the money….
There’s a couple guys in tech ops right now with very red faces. 🙂
Update — October 13, 2005
There’s a new chapter in the saga of the new printer…
We’re long past the point of dealing with the problems caused by the set up guy not noticing the bit of plastic labeled, “Remove tab before first use.” Today the tech ops guys were trying to figure out why the $2,000 optional stacker wasn’t picking up jobs and wasn’t stapling documents.
It took them about 15 minutes to find the problem:
The stacker wasn’t plugged in.
That’s not the funny part.
I’ve been posting the saga of the printer to a humor list I subscribe to. About an hour after sending out the “not plugged in” update, I received a private message from another one of the subscribers, asking who the manufacturer was and what kind of printer it was.
Then I noticed her signature block. She works for the company that built it!